Intern | Volunteer | Work
Temporary, Contract Position: Exhibition and Program Assistant
DiverseWorks is currently conducting a search for a temporary contract position as Exhibition & Program Assistant to help plan and present multidisciplinary art programs in Fall 2017. The candidate will have at least two years of experience working in an arts organization on exhibition and program planning and installation. They will work closely with the Executive Director & Chief Curator and Curator, as well as artists, installation, and tech crew on DiverseWorks exhibitions, performances, public programs, and events.
This position is a 30-40 hour per week temporary contract position from August 28 – December 22, 2017, with a pay rate of $15 per hour.
- Assist with exhibition, performance, program and event production (planning, accommodation research, confirming crew/install assistance, monitoring and hands-on with installs and production, conditioning artwork, arranging, scheduling and receiving shipments, purchasing supplies and materials and procuring quotes for fabrication as needed)
- Maintain orderliness of equipment and storage areas
- Develop exhibition open/close checklists; ensure artwork and equipment remain in good and working condition throughout the run of exhibitions
- Assist with set up/tear down for events, workshops, and programs
- Order office supplies
- Volunteer and intern coordination
- Assist with staffing front desk and visitor services duties
- Contribute to planning and production meetings with artists and staff
The successful candidate will have knowledge of contemporary art exhibition installation and be detail oriented. They will play an essential role in creating and carrying out impactful programs at DiverseWorks.
- Minimum B.A. or B.F.A degree in art history, studio art, or art education.
- 2 years experience working in an art gallery, museum, or other cultural organization on exhibition and/or performance planning and installation
- Ability to work 4-5 days per week, including some Saturday and weekday evening hours
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills; proven ability to work with a range of colleagues
- Must be familiar with basic tools, be able to lift items of 50 lbs. and climb ladders
- Passionate interest in the role of art in society
Please submit a cover letter and resume/CV (Word or PDF) to Xandra Eden, Executive Director & Chief Curator via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 26, 2017. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
DiverseWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that values workplace diversity. DiverseWorks does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, ancestry, disability, marital or partnership status, or veteran status.
Part-Time Installation Help Needed
DiverseWorks seeks qualified Part-Time Installers for periodic employment to assist with installation and de-installation of scheduled exhibitions.
Installers must have prior art handling experience and a minimum of 1 year preparator/art handling experience is preferred. Skills and experience with wood-working tools, painting, hanging artwork, and familiarity with most PC and Mac operating systems desired. Must be able to safely lift up to 50 lbs. Must be able to problem-solve and communicate efficiently and professionally with all DiverseWorks staff, artists, interns, and other install crew members. Individuals must be able to work from 1 day to several weeks at a time. Must be able to work within and meet deadlines, have exceptional communication skills, be punctual, have attention to detail, and place an emphasis on aesthetics, efficiency, and safety in the workspace. Must be available during the hours of 9 – 5 pm, Monday – Friday (some occasional evening and weekend hours). Work opportunities are scheduled at least one month in advance, although some exceptions may occur.
The position is filled as needed. Please email Taylor Hoblitzell with availability and resume. DiverseWorks is an equal opportunity employer.
Arts Administration & Gallery Internships
INTERNSHIP OVERVIEW: Interns play a critical role in the administration and production of DiverseWork’s overall programs and events. Selected interns will be provided the opportunity to explore several areas of a non-profit arts organization by assisting staff members with projects in the office related to curatorial, gallery management, development, and administrative departments. This internship is an exciting opportunity for anyone interested in a future career as a curator, artist, or arts administrator. 2-3 interns are engaged each semester.
RESPONSIBILITIES include assisting with artist research for upcoming programs and events, assisting with promotional and marketing tasks, updates to the membership database and mailings, general administration office duties, assisting with gallery maintenance and preparing for evening art performances, events and exhibition openings. Interns also participate in a reading group in order to get to know one another and facilitate a deeper understanding of contemporary art spaces and practices.
IDEAL CANDIDATES: Strong background in art history, theater, dance, studio art, or literature and a devoted interest in contemporary art, issues, and visual culture; great writing and computer-based research skills; ability to verbally communicate in an efficient manner; ability to interact with diverse populations with respect; excellent time management skills; ability to work individually and with a team; accountability; proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; fluency in Spanish a plus.
Internships are volunteer positions, last for one semester, and are competitive. Preference is given to college students seeking academic credit. Work schedule is generally two days a week, five hours a day plus occasional evening and weekend events.
2016-17 Internship Application Deadlines
Fall Semester (Sept – Dec): August 15, 206
Spring Semester (Jan – May): December 8, 2016
Summer Semester (May – August): April 5, 2017
DiverseWorks is always looking for enthusiastic volunteers to assist with exhibition openings, special events, and exhibition installation. To be added to our volunteer email list, please email your contact information to Reyes Ramirez, Outreach and Public Engagement Cultivator.